My
paternal grandmother was the closest experience of entrepreneurship I have had.
She was brought up by a family in great poverty in countryside of Nicaragua. However,
through perseverance she was able to move to the city and work different restaurant
jobs. Working her way through waitress to manager, she was able to grasp important
business concepts. My grandma, saved up money and was later able to open up her
own restaurant, “El Jardin Central,” which is still up and running. My
grandmother, of course, had to face many struggles and do several
trail-and-errors to acquire the position she did. The need of discovering what
meals customs were favoring and what were the busiest times for the restaurant were
important in helping the business succeed.
After
viewing the first day’s lecture of this class, I hope to be more comfortable in
being out of my comfort zone. At first, I thought this class was going to be
similar to that of a regular one. A required course where I would get the
pleasure of listening to two to three hour long lectures and reading long
chapters; however, I am glad it is going to be slightly different. Business, as
has been expressed several times to me, is about taking risks. Sometimes these
risks will pay off while other times things will not work out. I hope to find
myself believing that I can accomplish anything as I did when I was kid.

That is definitely a different post from what I have read before. It is such a nice and interesting to hear a story from your grandma and not from you since it provides inspiration and we can learn that to start a business, you need more than the basic, you need previous experience and failures. I am glad to hear that the restaurant is still operating and that her perseverance and hard work were worth it.
ReplyDeletePatricia Moreno
DeleteYou seem very knowledgeable about the foundation of entrepreneurship. Your grandmother does what most do, start from the bottom learn every aspect of a line of work and persuades their own dreams.
ReplyDeleteHi Karen! My boyfriend’s mother’s story is similar to yours. She came over from Honduras and worked in hotels until she was able to save up and buy a bar-type facility and create a sports bar. It flourished and she eventually sold it to be able to focus on her children. Stories such as that are so inspirational in the sense that these individuals held on to the end goal, working as hard as needed to get there. I am also happy that this class takes a different approach than usual!
ReplyDelete