https://soundcloud.com/user-645238584/voice-160612-21
I could only interview two people this week and the interviews did not last long. Finding people to interview was difficult especially because the weather in Miami was rainy all week long, and people just wanted to go about their days without getting wet.
I realized that the market for educating people on human trafficking is widespread. Many people are under-educated on the subject matter. However, I think because my goal is to educate and promote education, talking to people for more than a couple minutes proves to be difficult. What is essentially trying to be done is create a movement within the population.
I agree that most people are under-educated about human trafficking. It is usually not covered on the news and seems to run under the radar. The issues you had with interviews and promoting awareness in short conversations with strangers are part of the obstacles that entrepreneurs and advocates often deal with. I think TV advertisements, news reports, and celebrity endorsements would go a long way towards getting the message out.
ReplyDeleteHi Karen,
ReplyDeleteI agree that most people are extremely under-educated about human trafficking. You are absolutely correct. This is actually a subject that I am extremely passionate about because of a service trip I did in Thailand. Most people think that human trafficking only happens in places like Asia or South America, but never at home, and that's not true. The human trafficking market is extremely powerful in the USA. I recommend reading the book "Half the Sky." It's absolutely amazing book that taught me a lot about the human trafficking industry.
While your post is interesting, I think you have found something that is a problem, but have not identified a clear solution about how you can fix this problem. How would you spread awareness for this issue? Simply publishing a few articles or having it on the news more often might just scare people instead of calling people to action. I think you have taken an interesting approach to this assignment, I am just curious as to where you will take it in the future.
ReplyDeleteKaren, approaching people for an interview is hard enough, I can't imagine trying to do an interview when your concept is to start a movement and spread awareness. I enjoyed hearing your interviews, you did a great job! It's sad how many people are not educated on the topic of human trafficking and how little it is covered in the media. Hopefully your concept could change all that and make an impact!
ReplyDeleteI would like to start off by saying I believe your topic is much underrated and most people are most definitely not aware on how big of an issue human trafficking is. This being said I like that you are trying to educate people and spread the word but I feel like there are many organizations and groups trying to spread the word for years and continues to be a less talked about subject. The focus should be on sending a message that will stick with people because right now that seems to be the problem.
ReplyDeleteI think that what you are targeting is a very important issue that most certainly needs to be addressed here in the U.S. People are not aware of the issue and that is the truth. It is something that people deny and look down upon, something consumers are afraid to talk about. I think it is very important to keep pushing it and get the issues out there. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree that your topic of human trafficking is an extremely important issue. It is an issue that is rarely taught about and majority of people are extremely undereducated about it. I think that it is very hard to be able able to market your idea because of the sensitive topic. I believe that teaching in schools before starting a major organization might be more successful.
ReplyDelete